Etudes balkaniques (Sofia) 2016 N 2
Ivaylo NAYDENOV, The Merchant Network of the Puliev Family in the First Half of the 19th Century
Abstract: The merchant house “Pulievi-Georgievi” was established in 1839. Two of the partners – Hristo and Nikola Pulievi continued the business activities of their father – Teodor Puliev in Galatz and Braila. Pulievi’s nephews (Evlogi and Hristo Georgievi) were also involved in the activities of the firm - Evlogi in 1839 and Hristo - from 1841 onwards. On the basis of the preserved letters, one can say that from 1839 to 1841 Hristo T. Puliev bought and exported mainly agricultural products, hides, cloths, aba and other commodities in Galatz where his brother Nikola resided according to the merchant contract signed on 1 January 1839. Hristo’s activities were restricted to Karlovo and the villages around it, Plovdiv and Pazardzhik. After 1841, Hristo and Nikola T. Pulievi managed to expand their activities across Ottoman Bulgaria. Around 33 settlements were registered in Pulievi’s letter books and merchant ledgers. After Hristo’s death (1850) Nikola continued the joint activity. He and his agents continued to deal with agricultural and craft products after the Crimean War (1853-1856). During that period, their activities spread in 22 settlements. It is obvious that Nikola T. Puliev and Stefan Popvasilev restricted their dealings mainly to the Bulgarian lands.
Keywords: Pulievi, Georgievi, Merchant House, Mercantile Network, Business Dealings